Sunday, May 17, 2009

Savory, Spicy Yams


Years ago, I used to make a huge, every Sunday I would make an elaborate Sunday Brunch for my family. Eggs Benedict, breakfast souffle, crepes, German Apple Pancakes, coffee cakes, omelettes...loved trying all sorts of different things. I'd crank up the classical music, put on a pot of really strong coffee and be in heaven.

I learned last year that my sister loves to do the same thing. When she told me, we looked into each others' eyes and said "Dad" simultaneously. I remember waking up (often with a splitting hangover headache in high school) to him blaring Capriccio Italiano, the smells of bacon and coffee wafting up into my bedroom. Then coming down to find him pustying around, having fun making us breakfast.

Safety. Comfort. Home.

I looooove Sunday Brunch in any form. Sometimes it's fun to go out. Some of my fondest foodie experiences are Sunday Brunches, outdoors, sipping champagne, lolling and chatting with close friends. Mother's Day brunch at the Ritz in Palm Springs...seeing The Grand Damme with her hat, gloves and retinue. Eating on a balcony in St. Thomas with simple pineapple and coffee, looking out over the blue Carribean Sea. My very favorite was in New Orleans at Commander's Palace. The food (watermelon, fennel, shrimp salad...OMG, to DIE for!!!), the jazz, the snake dancing through the restaurant, the characters that New Orleans is home to...I will remember that glorious morning forever!

Sweet memories...and there are more...but being home, with "my music," the sun shining and stuff cooked exactly as I love it...that's where it's at for me right now.

When I make 'taters for breakfast, I generally do my world famous Breakfast Potatoes. But this morning I wanted something with more kick. I decided on yams with my favorite breakfast scramble.

As I'm the only one in the house that likes yams, I only used one small one. Slice it about a 1/4 of an inch thick.

Coursely chop lots of garlic (I use a whole clove, even though it's only one yam).

Put the yams in a bowl. Drizzle them with olive oil, the garlic; about a 1/2 ts. of thyme; salt, pepper and chili peppers to taste.

Stir to evenly disperse oil and herbies all over the orange moons. After all is evenly coated, lay in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Broil or bake in oven until soft with a bit of a chewy outside. Be sure to watch them as they can cook quickly. Might also want to turn them over after a five minutes, although I don't always do that.

As my body isn't too happy when it eats gluten, I had a piece of Essene Bread toast. Made myself a cup of strong, mudlike coffee and all come together to = Sunday Brunch Perfect.

These yams are also excellent for dinners with salmon (or probably lots of stuff). In fact, I usually eat them for dinner. But they hit the spot in the morning, when I'm not in "traditional" breakfast mode.

image from here.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love Yams. I;m generally the only one as well. Now I have a serious hankering for trying these. Scampers off to buy a yam or two...

om said...

hey, I miss that gorgeous, juicy strawberry sitting oh so seductively in my omchef sidebar.....but the yams are pretty yummy!
your Sunday habits remind me of my own, seafood omelettes, hollandaise, fruit, NY and LA Times, action flick and all of my boys....sigh, ....and after a 2yr absence of that I am trying to get it back, but I know it will be an updated, fractal version, starting with more, but smaller, additional boys...;)...
...In some parallel universe we temporarily trade our tribes,and I get to be with girls for a whole day, and you get all the boys... just to mix things up

hugs!

Moi said...

I hope you got some RWK...and did you like these? I and my daughters are addicted.




We could do that MD...but I have a better idea...how about you and I do the brunches?

Sarah said...

This is one of my ethos' for life... when I read the safety,comfort, home bit, I knew we both sing from the same song sheet...lol

The meat and potato pie.

Amounts of ingredients are irrelevant as I never use them. I just use what I think - you know?

I use Turkey thigh, but you can use any good cut of stewing beef.. skirt, or chuck steak as examples.

I usually begin by frying the meat in oil, to seal it, and adding garlic, then followed by onion, carrot, and any herbs you like if you want to. Salt and pepper of course.. let it fry tpgether until the onion goes soft and then add chicken stock and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat, and allow it to simmer until the meat starts to get tender, and then add large cubes of potato.

Let the whole thing simmer away gently until everything is soft.

Using a slatted spoon remove the mixture into a pie dish, reserving the liquid to make a thick gravy.

Spoon some of the liquid over the mixture and then top with a shortcrust pastry. When I am in a hurry I cheat and use the ready made stuff from the supermarket.

Cut out some steam holes with scissors and glaze with beaten egg.

Serve with mashed potaoes and any vegetable you like and then top with thick gravy.

Yum!

Moi said...

Aww...Sarah.. you are SUCH a sweetie!!! Recipe delivery and all that jazz...thanks so much!

Romeo Morningwood said...

Okay I do love Yams!!

My Mom always made some buttery artery clogging brown sugary thingamabob that melts in your mouth and KaPOW!
I coule eat barrels of that stuff.

Moi said...

Yup, me, too Donn..that would be the other way I make them :) Swimming in butter with maple syrup and pecans. Yup. Mighty fine.